Sat, 09 Dec|
GC Het Huys
Workshop: Trek planning for beginners (in English)
Time & Location
09 Dec, 10:00 – 18:00
GC Het Huys, Rue Egide Van Ophem 46, 1180 Uccle, België
About the event
You want to go on your first solo trek with a tent and you're not sure how and where to start?
Many years ago, I was in your shoes too. As a novice long-distance hiker, I had 101 questions about trekking and not all the information I found was usful or adapted to my needs and experience. I was constantly making mistakes and wanted to run before I had learned to walk. To avoid you making the same mistakes, I am happy to share my years of experience with you.
During this workshop, I will take you on a wonderful journey into the world of trekking and teach you really everything you need to know, from A to Z, about trek & thru-hike planning. Using practical examples and maps, we will look at how to plan a trek step by step. Finally, you will have to give it a try yourself and plan a fictional trek based on everything your learned during the workshop.
During this course you will learn, among other things:
- how to choose a hiking trail that suits you,
- everything about wild camping and bivouac rules,
- the Leave No Trace principles,
- what you really need to take and what can stay home,
- how to choose your gear based on the region,
- how to look for information about a trail,
- how to establish a route plan,
- how to plan your day stages,
- how to establish a food plan,
- where you can find water,
- how to plan a (fictional) trek all by yourself,
- the basics of map reading
- everything about the risks during treks.
What do you have to bring?
- Pen and paper,
- Water (there is a bar available at the workshop location),
- Lunch and snacks (supermarket next door),
Good to know
- The number of participants is limited to 12.
- We start at the mentioned time. Make sure to come 15 minutes earlier so you don't have to miss anything.
- The workshop lasts maximum 8 hours, including multiple breaks.
- Language of this workshop: English.
- Hikers who want to take the step towards treks and thru-hikes and who have no experience.
- Since the workshop is for beginners, no prior knowledge is required.
How to reach?
- Flemish Community Center Het Huys is perfectly reachable by public transport:
- Train station Ukkel-Kalevoet is 200 metres away (they are working on the train tracks during weekends: there is a replacement bus from Brussels-Midi or Nivelles),
- Bus stops MIVB/STIB (bus 43 and 60) and De Lijn (bus 153, 154, 155) are less than 350 metres away,
- Tram stops MIVB are 350 (tram 18) and 700 metres (tram 4) away,
- Staple racks for to park your bike are in the immediate vicinity of the building,
- Parking available in the immediate vicinity.
- Sale ends: 09 Dec, 10:00
Standard Ticket€130.00Tax: BTW included